Sunday, November 15, 2015

我的幸运

Just got back from Taiwan for like the fifth time in my life and I don't think I have enjoyed this country so much before. Unlike the last few times that I went with my family with a tour group, I went with my juniors.

I'm actually a person who feels very disoriented if there isn't a plan, or if things don't go according to plan. I guess the heavens kinda knew because on our first day there, our train to Ruifang (we were going to Jiufen) ceased operation because of a thunderstorm and flood along the route. We ended up on the wrong train with a bunch of foreigners who were as clueless as us. Needless to say, I was feeling pretty helpless but I was the oldest outta my bunch and was the most fluent in Mandarin so I had to get my shit together, and I also tried to help the two Koreans and one Canadian who were stranded as much as I could.

I think herein lies the charm of vacationing with friends and having things go wrong and you having to solve problems yourselves. It was great because we were all in it together - taking care of each other etc. I went there with the mindset of 'okay I'm the eldest so these kids are my responsibility', but it turned out that we needed each other equally. Without Rashidah getting up in the morning first I wouldn't have woken up for any breakfasts. Without Wenhui I would never have thought I'd be hiking and surfing there. Without Vinnie's persistent coaxing I wouldn't have agreed to rent an electric bike for us to ride (me as pillion) and feel the wind in our faces and get over my mild phobia of two-wheeled vehicles.


I was pretty boss in Taipei though lol I think I could be a tour guide there.

Currently I'm missing Taiwan more than I thought I would. Not sure if it's the nice night skies at the countryside, the food, the super nice people, the awesome pink guava juice atop Jiufen Old Street, the youthfulness and vibrancy of Ximending at night or just everything in general, but I just really miss it okay. Taiwan, I'll see you again sooner than you think. xx

No comments: