Sunday, April 3, 2011

Reminiscence (and a bit of the present)

So, I went back to TK with Vinnie and Brian after about 8 months of not going back. Honestly I was great to be back, but it was obvious that there were so many changes in TK Band, whether it was the people, management system, etc: basically just the overall feel. Somehow it felt kind of familiar yet distant.

So, my section (French Horn) all along, prides itself as one of the best sections in the band, whether it is in terms of music or drills. I remember our seniors always pushing us and me pushing my juniors too, so they will always be up there. Somehow, it was the batch two years older than mine who pushed us and it was the batch two years younger than me who I put all my energy on.

Even though my seniors were strict, I never did dislike them. They did not instill fear in me, but they gained my respect. In fact, I looked up to them so much that even when I got scolded, I'd really reflect on what I had done wrong, and worked even harder to prove to them that I can do it, so that they can't find a reason to reprimand me. They were like my parents and I was an like an innocent child who knew nuts about outdoor bands (except that it was pretty darn cool).

During Sec 3, we had to fill the spaces that the Sec 4s left behind because they were busy studying for their O's and always having remedial lessons and what not, so naturally, we had to take the lead. The Sec 1s then became our first priority because we knew that they had to get the basics right from the beginning. And they became just like our children, who we groomed, who we scolded if they made a mistake, who we praised if they did well, who we looked out for, who I loved so much.

All of us immediately became closer in 2008 when the band got to go to KL together and the section stuck together for the four days like super glue. Spending the days practicing and spending the nights in each others' rooms just chilling, playing games, and talking about anything. I really felt like a parent who took care of her children (I even packed up Vinnie and Wenhui's room and washed all their used utensils because I couldn't stand the messiness LOL). That trip was definitely the highlight of 2008. Oh gosh, the things I would do to go through it again..

When my 'child batch' became Sec 4, it was heartening to see how much they've grown. Musically, and also mentally. Really, nothing beats seeing your hard work become your pride. They were just like a reflection of myself. Seriously, it feels so awesome.

Anyway, going back with my children today made my heart break when the band instructor scolded the French Horns. I swear, it was my first time hearing our section get shouted at. I was angry that it happened, not at the juniors though, but at the instructor. He shouted at them in front of other bands. What were you trying to do? You just busted their morale 8 days before their SYF. Good on you, dude who is wanting to desperately to get Gold With Honours. If you want them to improve so that you can get your award, teach them properly, and learn how to control your temper as well. Hopefully they weren't too discouraged. A text from one of them made my heart sink really deep.

Keep your chin up, guys. I've got faith in all seven of you.

No comments: