Monday, August 22, 2011

Don't Let Me Go

Just thought I'd get this off my chest.

If there's one thing I hate, it is losing friends. Let me just quote something from Wikipedia:

Value that is found in friendships is often the result of a friend demonstrating the following on a consistent basis:
§ The tendency to desire what is best for the other
§ Sympathy and empathy
§ Honesty, perhaps in situations where it may be difficult for others to speak the truth, especially in terms of pointing out the perceived faults of one's counterpart
§ Mutual understanding and compassion
§ Trust in one another (able to express feelings - including in relation to the other's actions - without the fear of being judged); able to go to each other for emotional support
§ Positive reciprocity - a relationship is based on equal give and take between the two parties.
§ Whereby you can be oneself & make mistakes without fear of judgement.

Although I admit that I've never been able to truly fulfill a couple of the above, I still do try my best in being a good friend. I may not be the best but I strive to be. And I try to treat all my friends really well. Whether I've succeed, I don't know. But what I know is that I am really happy with the people around me right now and I wouldn't want anything to change.

Friendship is just like being in a relationship - it is not gonna work out if it's a one-sided effort. Maybe I should stop investing so much effort in treating people nicely. Why do that when I am not gonna receive the same treatment?

Too many a time, I have seen friends fall out because of them being really tactless, and I guess, not exactly genuine towards the other. I've had that kind of feeling before but I chose not pursue the matter and to hold the friendship together. It's getting tiring though, and I'm sick of being the 'understanding' party.

The most important aspect in my life right now (and probably for a long time to come) are the people around me. And I don't want anything to change.

No comments: