Thursday, August 16, 2012

MTV Sessions Featuring Kyle Patrick

When I received an e-mail from MTV stating that I had won tickets, I was really excited - I was gonna get to watch the lead singer of a band that I have been listening to forever, and also it was gonna be my first studio recording experience!


Rachel and I reached the venue just 1.5 hours before the doors opened and we were pleasantly surprised that we were second in queue.

That's me being annoying LOL.

And here's a decent photo for your sanity, or not.

Snazzy looking tickets that they didn't let us take home :(

The studio was pretty neat and the stage looked awesome. We stood right at the front and we were literally brought closer to the star of the show. I was kinda resting my knees against the stage while waiting for the man to come out. Hahaha. A little too close for comfort me thinks.

My iTouch on the stage LOL how annoying are we really.

Anyway, fast-forwarding to the recording, VJs Holly Grabarek and Richard Herrera hyped up the crowd and did an introduction whilst standing among the audience. I'm pretty sure I was captured on camera since I was standing next to Holly, and it was so awkward even though I'm a broadcast student and I've had plenty of experiences in front of the camera. Sigh, I just hope I look normal when they screen it, lol.

Handing the baton over to the band, Billy Justineau (keyboard), Kevin Rice (drums) and Jared Scharff (guitar, also guitarist of Saturday Night Live) and Kyle kicked it off with Follow Your Heartbeat. Seriously, the song was perfect as an opener. It's fun, upbeat and has such relevant lyrics ("I'm ready now, ready now, ready now" - that's the most apt it gets). He danced all around the stage and infected all of us with his energy. What a crazy ball of fun he was!


Keeping the momentum going, he continued with Wild Ways where he really impressed me with his falsettos in the chorus, and he did not falter one bit. Watching him perform is always a pleasure, because he is one of the most sincere and consistent performers ever.

He then took it slow with his rendition of Bill Withers' Ain't No Sunshine, which he quipped as one of his favourite songs. He slightly mispitched one of the higher notes but other than that he absolutely nailed the song, especially my favourite part (the never-ending 'I know I know I know...').


He then brought out his Gibson SJ-200 Custom Honey and treated the audience to acoustic versions to a few songs from The Click Five. While setting up, he conversed with the fans in whatever Singlish he learnt on his last trip here in 2011. He used chiobu and chope in a couple of sentences before saying that Singapore is like his second home, which earned him lots of 'awwws'. Aww indeed!


The crowd of mostly teenagers were obviously Click Five fans and sang along to Jenny, Happy Birthday, Empty and Don't Let Me Go. He looked visibly pleased with himself until he stopped abruptly in the middle of Empty before lamenting that even though he has played the song for hundreds of times, he still forgets the lyrics sometimes. How cute, haha! I'm guessing MTV will cut that part out though.

Spot me! (Photo credits to Aloysius Lim and MTV Asia)

The band then came back on stage and Kyle started crooning out the very emotional Baby Don't Board That Plane. The song sounds brilliant on the record, but listening to it live was another thing altogether - he put so much emotion into it and it was just... for lack of a better word, amazing!

He finished off his set with the lead single from his EP, Go For Gold! He said that the song was written when he was preparing for a marathon, and added that joining the marathon was one of the worst decisions ever. Hahaha. Anyway, Go For Gold was definitely the highlight of the whole showcase and Kyle even jumped off the stage into the crowd at one point. He also sung to me at the second chorus, and my natural reaction was to sing back. He gets bonus points for crowd interaction. Heh.

Photo credits to Aloysius Lim and MTV Asia.

He came back on stage for a surprise encore (it turned out that the production team needed him to re-do two songs) and sang Follow Your Heartbeat and Baby Don't Board That Plane again. I'm not complaining though!

My first ever studio recording session experience definitely ended on a good note (literally) and I had a blast! Kyle and his band could do no wrong. There was an improvement in his vocals compared to when I last saw him in 2010. He also looked much, much better without those long ugly sideburns he previously had. Thank goodness.


Rach and I ended our day with a meal at Aston's and camwhoring at some cave thingum nearby. Lol we never even knew it existed.

All these derp has to stop hahahaha

It was a great day! Thank you MTV Asia for bringing Kyle in! And also to Rach for the awesome company! Couldn't have asked for more. :)

For those who missed it, MTV Sessions: Kyle Patrick will premiere on MTV SEA Saturday 8 September at 11am (WIB), 12pm (SG/HK/PH) and 1pm (MAL).
Also, check out my review of Kyle's self-titled EP here!

No comments: