Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Super Junior - SPY Review

Super Junior finally released the music video of their follow-up song, SPY, a good one week after the single was released.


The first time I heard this song, I was so pleasantly surprised at the cowboyish introduction. It gave off such a happy vibe and I was so happy that there was an actual melody to it. However as it went on, especially when Kyuhyun started droning his insanely low notes in the verse, my mood took a 180 degree turn.
And by the end of the song I was totally unimpressed with what seemed like a mash-up of three songs - a cowboy/Wild Wild West inspired tune, a Bond inspired hook, and chanting similar to that of Superman and Gulliver (also songs by them).
The composer was probably going for a 'playful' and 'varied' song but honestly this doesn't do it for me at all. I feel that songs shouldn't have too many motifs (unless you are talking about concert band/orchestral music) and this song totally deviates away from that rule. It would have been a perfect song if the droning verses were replaced with something akin to the beginning. Or you know what? Scrap that, it would have been perfect if the entire song sounded like that. Words can't explain how much I love Eunhyuk's parts in this song. Gone are the days when Super Junior got quality songs like No Other and Mirror.

Alas, as much as I dislike the song, the SM effect has yet again hit me and this song is now stuck in my head, to the extent that I feel inclined to make a cover. Oh no. Hahahaha.

Now, on to the music video. There isn't really anything to say about it except that's a typical SJ-dancing-in-a-huge-box and close-ups of them singing their lines video. Of course the boys look dashing wielding pistols and shotguns all decked out in sleek suits but I am getting so tired of the low-budget production. Seriously, what's up with all the random squirts of blood coming out from nowhere? I know it fits the concept, but it turned out to be more of a distraction than a complement to the video.
The thing that irks me the most, however, is the fact that the video for this song could have easily been scripted into a storyline - but no - laziness just gets better of everyone and Super Junior once again ends up with a less-than-stellar recycled music video.

The choreography of the song though, is quite impressive to me - especially the part before Kyuhyun sings his verse where he has to pass through some sort of 'obstacle course', and also the part just before Ryeowook takes over his lines. The disappearing-and-reappearing-as-another-person act is just genius. All these Bond-inspired dance moves are what redeem the song, making their live performances really enjoyable.


It also seems like any new SJ single is not complete without a small solo dance part from Eunhyuk. Not that I mind though, because I really like them.

So all in all, terrible song and music video, but amazing choreography. But no matter what I, or anyone for that matter, say about SJ's songs, you know that they are still going to top the charts and sweep ELFs off their feet. While many are getting sick of this formula they are using, you have to admit that it works and I don't see any reason why they are going to change it, although a huge part of me still wishes that they will.

Till then, I will just continue replaying SPY and watch SJ snag all their awards. Go kick it in the butt, boys!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, it really sounded like Jay Chou and James Bond combined together.