Thursday, August 9, 2012

Tasty - Spectrum Review

Tasty, the twins (Jung Daeryong and Jung Soryong) from Woollim Entertainment, better known as the company which produced Infinite, finally dropped their debut mini album.


The boys of Infinite, along with Miss A's Min and Fei have been tweeting about them prior to the release of the album. Free promotion's great, but it is the music that will make people stay. For me, honestly, I'm still quite undecided about this debut.

Spectrum is the introduction to this album and preps listeners for what is to come. I was a little apprehensive at the beginning when I heard 'so sexy' and 'so hot' but when the beatbox came in I eventually got into it. Lots of electro-pop sounds and dubstep going on in this track. It then transits ever so smoothly into the title track, You Know Me.


The track is no different from what the teaser offered - electric drums, dubstep, and lots of synths. The beginning of the track was a little weird though, and I was really glad that it was over when the 'neona ara' hook as heard from the teaser came on. This track is basically a club jam, and unlike many K-Pop singles nowadays, it does not have a tasteful (no pun intended) melody or tune. In other words, this song is almost un-singable (the only part you actually hear them sing is the bridge). I find the song somewhat lacklustre - and don't even get me started on the lack of lyrics. The only thing memorable about this song is the 'neona ara' hook (and I have already listened to it around five times).
Bad points aside though, this song is a definite crowd-pumper. Just look at the amazing choreography and the charisma of these boys!


Solo is the whiff of fresh air to this mini album. Still retaining the synth, this song is based on R&B beats and is definitely my favourite. It showcases their vocals much, much more than any of the other tracks - and damn, these boys do have the voice!

Buster, an upbeat track (the beginning kind of reminds me of Nicki Minaj's Stupid Hoe oh why) provides a good closing to the album. While many may argue that this should be the title track, I beg to differ, even though I prefer this song. I feel like this song will not be able to bring out their charisma as much as You Know Me and it somehow does not pack as much punch. I really dig this song if not for the overbearing and over-repetitive 'buster buster buster' going on in the background.

All in all, I feel that this is a really mediocre debut, but I do believe that Tasty is capable of more than this. I sincerely hope that their next single will be one that showcases their vocals. They are amazing dancers and I am sure Woollim Entertainment will be able to stretch these guys to their full potential, as they have done with Infinite.

P.S. I think I like Soryong already. Hahahaha.

No comments: