Monday, July 23, 2012

Kyle Patrick - Kyle Patrick EP Review


Just like the album cover, Kyle Patrick's very first solo EP is bright, happy and about as pop as you can get.
Kyle Patrick, better known as the lead singer of powerpop band, The Click Five, embarked on a solo project which has been in the works for five years. The result? A well-produced album with five tracks written, arranged and performed by this talented man.

Follow Your Heartbeat is the opener for this EP and it starts with Nintendo-like digital sounds. The song is wholly about having fun and basically following your heart. The song did not really leave an impression on me but after a few listens, the chorus, the 'ready now, ready now, ready now' hook, and the reggae-inspired instrumental were stuck in my head.

Go For Gold is the lead single from this EP and is easily my favourite track. Uplifting lyrics, a catchy tune and the 'ohhh ohhh ohhh' hooks are definitely what makes the song so enjoyable. With Kyle writing this song in line with the 2012 London Olympics in mind, he has achieved his purpose. I personally enjoy this song more than the theme song for London Olympics (Muse's Survival).


The track is accompanied by a not-as-stellar music video but it is enjoyable all the same. There was also a 3D version released so that fans can watch it with the personalised 3D glasses shipped out by the man himself (Mine's still in great condition, accompanied with the envelope). What I found interesting about the video was that it was done in (almost) one take. The flashing lights towards the end of the video were really distracting and it hurt my eyes a little though. That aside, have I mentioned that Kyle looks absolutely dapper in that full blue suit?

Wild Ways is the last of the upbeat tracks in this EP. The song is catchy but predictable. As soon as the track started, I expected a few 'HEY!'s and 'HO!'s and the first one comes within 5 seconds of the song. The constant beat and synths in the backing track complement Kyle's vocals and he displays some neat falsetto in the chorus. It is one of those feelgood songs which makes you want to jump around your room in a gig and just let your hair down.

The mood changes drastically with the next song, Baby Don't Board That Plane. It did not really do it for me at first, but as the track went on, I started to appreciate it. Kyle's deep voice brings out the emotions in the song really well and the use of the instruments is amazing. For example, the use of the percussion in the beginning was not as significant and fades off during the chorus but as the song progresses, it builds up and the military-like beats from the snare drum adds on the to desperation as depicted by the lyrics of the song. If Kyle ever sung this to me, I'd definitely not board that plane.

The EP closes with a cover of Bill Withers' Ain't No Sunshine. I personally love the original and I feel that I may like this version even more - it has the same feel as the previous track and Kyle's vocals were showcased so well thanks to the stripped down percussion in the instrumental. A strong finish to an amazing EP.

Honestly I wasn't expecting much from this album but trust me, I was totally floored by it! Definitely one of the best albums this year. Here's to more good music from Kyle!

Get this EP on Bandcamp or iTunes!

P.S. I really hope I get to see him perform for MTV Sessions in Singapore next month!

No comments: