Friday, July 22, 2011

Till The Very End

As the credits rolled, a sensation that I have never felt before while watching a movie swept over me. It was like my heart was breaking and I couldn't believe I stuck with the series for ten years. After all, my childhood was Harry Potter (and Pokemon, hahaha).

One thing I really love about this series was that the main cast never changed. And just like us, they grew up with Harry Potter, except they were part of the amazing experience. Sigh, the things I would do to be part of the cast.. I don't even mind if I'm the screaming girl in Deathly Hallows Part 2.


The only qualm I have is that they didn't show the scene of Fred, Tonks and Remus dying. Not being sadistic or anything but I feel that it would have made a greater impact. After all, Fred and Remus are part of my favourites in the film and I felt it didn't do them much justice. Still, I cried upon the demise of these characters - including Snape, following Dobby's death in Part 1 (I bawled my lungs out all right? Silently at least).

(I was gonna embed a video of Dobby's death here but all the videos with that same content have disabled embedding, but you can see it here if you want)

This is no doubt the most amazing series ever. As with many other adaptations, the books are still way better in terms of being able to convey emotions and it also explains more than the films, although I still haven't read the last book. Hahaha I fail as a Potterhead.

Not all films are perfect, As seen on Tumblr and on the web, there are a considerable amount of mistakes in shooting the film like Lily's young self's eyes not being the same as Harry's (lol 'you have your mother's eyes') but the story is just flawless. Somehow it may seem a tad complicated and you would want to go take the effort to find out about them (like horcruxes, the prophecy, why Voldemort couldn't kill Harry with the Elder Wand, etc etc) which is in actual fact not difficult to understand at all even if you don't read the books since I understood everything fully though I didn't read the last book.

From the Sorcerer's Stone to the Deathly Hallows, the series has had a total of four directors and four soundtrack composers. I've always like the works of Chris Columbus and John Williams a bit more than the rest and I would have liked them to continue directing and writing the songs for the whole series, but of the rest of them did an awesome job too.

I think the thing I will miss most about this is the anticipation of waiting for the release of the book/movie and all the geeking out. To my generation, Harry Potter will always be more than a series of films and for me, it takes up a significant part of my childhood - from reciting lines from the films to pretending to do spells. And not forgetting Quidditch. I'd totally be a sick chaser and I'd totally love to have a Firebolt of my own. And how cool would it be to be in Dumbledore's Army? And of course the Order!

Haha I totally feel like I need another Harry Potter movie marathon and I totally need to watch Deathly Hallows Part 1 again. I'm still wondering when my Hogwarts letter will come or maybe what I need to do is find a small little room under some staircase and stay there for a while.

Thank you JK Rowling for writing this amazing series and bringing us on a crazy roller coaster ride. Thank you to Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, Tom Felton, James Phelps, Oliver Phelps, Bonnie Wright, Matthew Lewis, Alan Rickman, Gary Oldman, Ralph Fiennes, Helena Carter, Evanna Lynch, Michael Gambon, Robbie Coltrane, Maggie Smith, and the rest of the cast for portraying their roles so well throughout the whole journey.

Thank you to the directors (Chris Columbus, Alfonso Cauron, Mike Newell, David Yates), composers of very epic scores (John Williams, Patrick Doyle, Nicholas Hooper, Alexandre Desplat), scriptwriters, cinematographers, and all the crew members.

And to you too, if you have stuck with Harry till the very end ;)

No comments: